dinsdag 12 augustus 2014

Destroyed Beauty


Welcome to my new blog about jewellery!

First a short introduction. My name is Koen, I come from Holland and I have a passion for making jewellery. After studying traditional jewellery at Vakschool Schoonhoven, I decided in 2012 to start a new adventure at Alchimia Contemporary Jewellery School in Florence. To be honest, in the beginning I didn't know in what kind of new world I steped into! For one year prof. Ruudt Peters, Doris Maninger and Lucia Massei guided me into the field of jewellery-art and in the beginning of the year I got the advice to forget everything I did before! Directly at my first day Ruudt Peters pointed out were I should work on. My previous work was always related to the idea of beauty, so I got the assignment to explore the world of ugliness! For sure not easy for me, but later on I made the conclusion that there are more ways to create beauty and that I can create beauty even by using ugliness as a starting point. 
My wonderful year at Alchimia was the beginning of something new, so after my graduation I started in sep. 2013 at the Gerrit Rietveld Academy in Amsterdam. To be more open minded and to get more freedom in art, I followed Basic year program. Sep. 2014 I will start at the jewellery department for another three years!

In the first blog I show my Alchimia graduation work; Destroyed Beauty, the first pieces of contemporary jewellery I made. The pieces are the result of searching for the relationship between two worlds; the upper and the underworld. For me this two worlds are not jing and jang, black and white, good and bad, life and dead. The upper world can be the hell and the underworld the heaven. Two worlds are coming together, like a tree that is growing with the roots from the earth to the upper world
The pieces are made from ebony wood combined with resin and they are the result of intense drilling and milling into a large casted block.

Statement - Destroyed Beauty - 


Lost in nature. Everywhere green. Green like a wall that blocks the view. I can see nothing else. I don’t now where I am, but the scenery is overwhelming. Beauty, all around me.Trees huge like I’ve never seen before. Exotic plants are growing in the most beautiful shapes and some fragrant flowers add colour to the whole. A loud noise is coming closer, but I don’t know what it is. The noise is becoming louder. Suddenly a colourful group of birds is flying over. Then a roar in the tree, a swinging monkey past.Again a loud noise and before I know what is going on, a tree is falling down. Everything is black.When I open my eyes a feeling of emptiness gives way to disbelieve and grieve. A barrow plain, up to the horizon and fire everywhere. Destroyed beauty, I hope it was a dream.







Blue Life

Brooch, 10 x 6 x 4 cm 
Koen Jacobs 2013
Ebony Wood, resin, silver, steel






Blue Reborn nr. 1

Brooch, 6 x 4 x 4 cm 
Koen Jacobs 2013
Ebony wood, resin, silver 


Blue Reborn nr. 2

Brooch, 6 x 4 x 4 cm 
Koen Jacobs 2013
Ebony wood, resin, silver
Blue Reborn nr. 3

Brooch, 7 x 5 x 4 cm 
Koen Jacobs 2013
Ebony wood, resin, silver
Blue Reborn nr. 4

Brooch, 7 x 5 x 4 cm 
Koen Jacobs 2013
Ebony wood, resin, silver




Blue Reborn nr. 5

Brooch, 8 x 5 x 4 cm 
Koen Jacobs 2013
Ebony wood, resin, silver, steel




Big Blue

Pendant, 60 x 10 x 7 cm 
Koen Jacobs 2013
Ebony wood, resin, silver, black robe






Big Orange

Pendant, 67 x 10 x 8 cm 
Koen Jacobs 2013
Ebony wood, resin, silver, black robe






Downfall

Pendant, 44 x 12 x 10 cm
Koen Jacobs 2013
Ebony wood, resin, zinc-plated steel





Destroyed Beauty

Pendant, 60 x 10 x 7 cm 
Koen Jacobs 2013
Ebony wood, resin, silver, black robe

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen